Friday, November 16, 2018

Miami Pete 21:

I could almost FEEL the news spreading about the ship that our new uniforms had arrived, but we were all hands on deck for the launch of the Task Force, so everyone was still wearing their old uniforms.  We weren't sure what the 'rus had planned, but to get to the hyper-jump point, we would have to edge right past them.

The past few days had been a flurry of meetings and planning.  At one point, an Admiral named Foster was chosen to lead the Task Force, and I could tell that Admiral Thomas wasn't happy about it.  Sure enough, Admiral Foster sent Storm Troopers to arrest me and my crew, demanding that we hand over the navigation data for the 'rus system.  Luckily we were warned well enough in advance, by the time they got to the Haul-o-caster, we had buttoned up tight, and they weren't able to get in before Admiral Thomas interviened.  I'm not sure what he said, but Admiral Foster stood down his attack and ran like the hounds of Hadies were on his tail.  After that strings, I'm sure, were pulled and Admiral Thomas became the new head of the Task Force.

Oddly enough, I think it ended up as a trade, because Admiral Foster was put in charge of Task Force Bravo.  When I asked Admiral Thomas, he said it was a slight demotion for Foster, and a slight promotion for him, but Foster could only blame himself because he overstepped his bounds when he tried to arrest me and my crew and appropriate private property without just cause.  Apparently, along with their religion which they are pretty tight-lipped about, the Morganites also believe pretty strongly in individual liberty and property rights.  Who knew?

Task Force 'rus was comprised of one battleship, two heavy cruisers, a pair of carriers, and a few dozen light cruisers and destroyers.  Added to that was the tender, A heavy fuel hauler, and a couple big supply freighters that comprised the "Fleet Train".  Oh, and little ol' Hauley.  The big iron, the battleship and the heavy cruisers were up front to form a wedge, with the carriers not far behind.  Haul-o-caster was safely snuggled between the carriers. The fleet train tucked in behind us, and the light cruisers and destroyers formed a grid that surrounded the entire back half of the formation, ready to move up if needed and ready to protect our soft flanks.

"Forward the Task Force as planned on my mark!" came the command from the Admiral through the comms.  I nodded to Ensign Barnes at the con, as if meant something, and was surprised to receive an "Eye eye, Captain!" in reply.  Neat!

It's not really possible to "sneak" in space, especially with an entire Task Force.  So the 'rus had to know we were coming.  I had the sensor suite pulled up on Pete's...  I mean, my... personal screen on the captain's console, watching to see what they would do.  They didn't move.

"Captain, I'm getting reports from the Task Force that the 'rus are powering up weapons" came the voice of Ensign Shelly, sitting at the communications station.

Then all heck broke loose.

"Captain, 'rus ships firing on lead vessels."  Informed Shelly, with only a small rise in the pitch of her voice.

"Steady as she goes helm." I heard myself say, "Comm, inform me if we receive any orders from Force."

"Baskins firing main guns." Shelly informed.  Hecktor C. Baskins was the name of the big battleship.  I had no idea who this Hecktor person was in Morganite space, but it must have been something good to have a battleship named after him.

"Scratch one 'rus! And another one!" Shelly proclaimed excitedly.  "The other's are turning tail and running towards the hyper-jump point."

"Excellent, Well done everyone." I said.  Well, they did do good.  Nobody paniced and everyone calmly did their jobs.  If this was the most exciting thing that happened on this trip, I would be content.

"Force says steady as she goes Captain.  We'll jump as planned when we reach the hyper-jump point."

"Acknowledge that Shelly."

"Eye eye, Captain."

No comments:

Post a Comment