Thursday, January 28, 2021

Kinderling 26

  In case you are interested in starting this story at the beginning, Kinderling 1 can be found here:

The Tricycle of Thought: Kinderling 1

Please don't judge the story or the writing too harshly, this story is written with little to no editing.  It is just meant to get me writing regularly for practice.  

Now back to our story, already in progress....


"Surely you jest."  Father said.  I could tell he was a little thrown off by the formality,  "The High Elves are a myth."

"Oh, they are real alright, although they are rarely seen outside their forests, and even more rarely does anyone enter a High Elven forest and ever be seen again."  Watcher said,  "But I assure you, the True Gorfs occasionally trade with them as the High Elves are fond of some of the jewels we mine out of the deep."

"but..."  Father tried.

"Tadeus, I have seen them.  They are real."  Mama said.  One of these days I would have to sit Mama down for a chat.  First I hear she worked as an Army scout for the Men of Dorinth, and now she's seen High Elves?  And she never told me about these things?!

I thought Father's eyes were going to pop out.  Apparently, she hadn't told him either.

Then Mama really dropped the other shoe.

"It's funny, the High Elves were just as shocked to see me as I was to see them.  One had an arrow through her.  While I was tending their wounds, I noticed that their anatomy is very similar to ours.  The language they spoke wasn't all that different than Kinderling either.  It's not like we could hold a conversation, but we were able to get important points across."

"Yes, I have noticed that Kinderling is very similar to High Elven." Watcher added,  "When I went into exile, Kinderling was a lot easier to learn since I could already speak High Elven.  Legend says that when the Makers were done creating the High Elves, they had some scrap material left over.  One of the Muses, the Muse of Kindness, took the scraps and formed smaller, more simple versions of the High Elves to because they wanted a people of their own to love.  Many of the other Makers saw this and created their own beings out of jealousy.  Ultimately this lead to the the First War that all but destroyed the beautiful world the Makers created.  The teachings say, only Gorphom stayed out of the First War  preferring to keep his people deep underground and gifting us with the gems of the earth."

"I would love to see High Elves one day!"  I exclaimed.

"They are rude."  Mama said, "and not at all pleasant to talk to."

This, of course, made me giggle.  I had heard Mama described in much the same way many many times.  Mama gave me a disapproving glare, I'm sure she knew exactly what I was thinking.

"Since we are using The Forms, I suggest we call the meeting to order."  Father said,  "I am willing to preside, unless you would like the honor, Watcher."

"Please, continue." Watcher said, "I see my place here as an interpreter, and advocate for my Fallen Cousins, rather than a direct party to the negotiations."

There were a lot more words back and forth where each side promised good behavior on their part, most of it revolved around making sure each side was assured that the other wasn't going to try to cook them and eat them.  How that eating other people thing ever got started in the first place is still a mystery to me.  The very idea made my stomach turn.

I couldn't be sure, not being able to hear much of Gorfish language - remember, a lot of how Gorfs communicate is in a lower register that Kinderlings can't hear- let alone understand it if I could hear it, but it seemed to me like Mouse, of all people, was the driving force behind the calls for assurances on the Gorf side.  Standing at my tallest, I didn't even come up to his knee.  Father, who I get my lack of height from, barely reached his knee but only if you were being generous.  While Mother and Uncle Zon, being tall for Kinderlings, did reach knee height on the enormous Gorf.  Needless to say, the largest of us were tiny by comparison.  Yet I caught him making frightened, sideways glances at us, as if we were dangerous creatures who were better left alone.

With all the promises and assurances over, the adults finally got to the reason for the meeting.

"Watcher, would it be possible to use the upper halls to rescue the Kinderlings being held in the caves?"  Uncle Zon asked.

"I am sorry, I received word from the Priesthood this morning.  The Priests have decided that the True Gorfs can not get involved in your current struggle." Watcher said.

A strained noise came from my throat.  They weren't going to help?

"However," added Watcher, "I am not here as a representative of the True Gorfs, I am here as an advocate for my lovely wife, and her... cousin...  whom you know as Mouse.  Mouse and Flower are more than capable of guiding you trough the caverns, but they ask for something in return.  Mouse's tribe has disappeared, and they are asking your for help finding them."

"But we do not have them!"  Said Uncle Zon forcibly.

"I'll help in any way that I can!"  I blurted out before thinking.

After a couple grumbles and stiffs were passed between the three Gorfs.  

"Accepted."  Watcher said without fanfare.

"Wait, that's it?" Bez said seemingly confused.

"Looks like." Said Father, "What happened Bez, you take a little nap and miss it?"


No comments:

Post a Comment